ZERO1, U.S. Embassy Cairo, and Medrar are pleased to announce the open call for participants in Creative Impact Lab Cairo.
Creative Impact Lab Cairo is a five-week online creative exchange that utilizes community-driven digital and new media art projects to address women’s empowerment. It is scheduled to run June-July 2021.
The lab consists of five activity phases:
- Artist Talk: a presentation by the U.S. lead artist introducing the participants and the public to their creative practice.
- Workshops: a workshop series led by the U.S. artist which leverages their specific area of expertise. In parallel, the topic of women’s empowerment is explored by applying frameworks from the arts, social entrepreneurship, and community engagement.
- Project Development: Participants prototype artworks that apply workshop skills to address women’s empowerment.
- Panel Review and Virtual Exhibition: the lab culminates in a public panel review wherein Egyptian and U.S. experts provide feedback on participant project prototypes. Projects are revealed to a wider public audience at a virtual exhibition opening.
- Sustainability Meetings: the U.S. artist and participants discuss how their artworks might develop beyond the Lab.
The lead artist for the Lab is Katherine Behar, whose interactive installations, videos, performances, and writings explore gender and labor in digital culture. Her work appears regularly throughout North America and Europe, and received a comprehensive survey at Pera Museum, Istanbul, in 2016. Based in Brooklyn, New York, she is Associate Professor of New Media Arts at Baruch College, CUNY.
We are looking for Egyptian residents (age 18+) with:
- An interest in technology, new media, and/or digital art; experience in the arts is preferred, but not required
- An interest in exploring women’s empowerment
- A desire to learn from new perspectives and new tools
- A willingness to work and create in a collaborative environment
- Youth (age 18-35), women, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Participation in the Lab is free of charge and those who participate fully will receive a stipend.
Submissions will be accepted until May 30, 2021.
Questions? Please contact Maya Holm (email@example.com).
Creative Impact Lab Cairo (2021) is a ZERO1 international exchange supported by U.S. Embassy Cairo and co-produced with Medrar.